Monday 11 June 2012

Recipe binder: Fish Pie

I know practically everyone has a recipe for fish pie but I've decided to join the band wagon and post mine. After weeks of putting it off and getting distracted I finally got around to making one last weekend. I've liked fish pie for ages now and wish I'd been making it for longer as I've probably wasted so much money buying them over cooking from scratch! This recipe is one I pinched from BBC Good Food and played around with, there aren't any real measurements for most of it (particularly the cheese sauce) because I just added as I needed and didn't really measure (naughty of me, I know!)

I bought a pack of white fish fillets for a few pound which stay in the freezer but you can usually buy whatever fish you want to throw in...

I used;
-4 white fish fillets
-Mashed potato (4 large potatoes...note large is important because I used small and had to make extra)
-Cheese sauce (butter melted, mixed with plain flour, milk poured in and cheese added. Stir until cheese is melted, adding more milk/cheese to desired taste/consistency)

Before cooking

  • Cook the fish in the oven for 25 minutes, then cut up into small pieces
  • While that's cooling, make up the mashed potato.
  • Make up the cheese sauce
  • In a oven dish (I used a small-ish oval one as the pie was only for me) layer the fish pieces
  • Add the cheese sauce and mix in so all the fish pieces are covered
  • Once mixed in, add the mash potato on top
  • Add breadcrumbs if desired
  • Pop in the oven for 30 minutes until the top is slightly crispy
Ta-dah!
This is a dish that can be batch cooked and frozen, saving valuable time later on in the week!


No comments:

Post a Comment